Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Most Generic Girl (in the World)

Now I know I am gonna get a lot of hate for this; but, what the eff happened to Rihanna? "Good Girl Gone Bad" was an album of EPIC proportions, I could listen to that album from start to finish, and not skip a track. She cut off all her generic honey tresses and went for a sleek bob. I was in love. Umbrella was the song of the summer, and she was churning out video after inspiring video. In interviews she talked about how she was coming into her own as an artist and a performer and trying new things and taking risks, and I believed her. She said how she idolized Madonna, and i thought finally they are going to stop marketing her as the next Beyonce (because lets face it, i heart the girl I do but that's a promise her vocal cords can not keep) Now after having finally sat down and listened to Loud, I am sad to be honest. Is it good, yeah; but, it's also generic as hell. Every time i hear "only girl in the world" I get it confused with a Kelly Rowland song, and California King Bed (which hits just as close to home, i need those lyrics like i need this hole in my heart) could be sung by anyone. she doesn't bring anything special to the table. my favorite song on the album is actually "Love the Way You Lie part 2" the follow up to the duet she did on Eminem's album; and I don't know how i feel about her singing those lyrics considering what Chris Brown did to her face and her mind two years ago the night before the Grammys. Riri may love the way you lie, and she's managed to turn it into a gut wrenching power ballad (feel free to cover it Gaga, hell feel free to cover it Beyonce) but between you and me the way you lie makes you a D-bag. i had hope that her first successful song post face bashing was going to be about female empowerment, and instead we got the anthem for hate sex. Not only that but the album is almost overly sexual to the point where it's not sexy, the lyrics aren't even ironic. In "Only Girl (in the World)" she asks you to take her like a thief in the night... excuse me, does that not sound like a red flag to you, and how do those lyrics match up with a song about making a girl feel special? In the opening track "S&M" she tries to make me believe she is a strong and daring woman, and uses such convincing lyrics as "sticks and stones may break my bones but chains and whips excite me"... again seriously, that's the message you wanna send out to young girls, your boyfriend beat the sense out of you, and all of your singles following have either been about dysfunctional relationships or they are about sex so nasty Miss Jackson blushed. I guess the thing that really bothers me about Rihanna is that with "Good Girl Gone Bad" I thought I was seeing an artist emerge, I had expected her to grow with each album prior. instead she has become a product created for the charts, and brought to you by her label.

No comments:

Post a Comment